Friday 28 February 2014

A week away

Last week we headed off to the mainland for a holiday, our last break before the bakery season starts but also as a little treat for my birthday. Before we left my parents came to stay for a few days which was lovely, although now we've been away it seems like a long time ago!

We had been considering where to go, whether to even attempt a little trip abroad. However after much discussion we decided to have a break in Cornwall. It was just as well we made that decision as we were fog bound on our first day and the rail line up country was destroyed during the recent storms.

Barney and I have had some really nice breaks exploring Cornwall in the past, plus it had the advantage of avoiding extra travel with Marcus. We spent the first three nights in a very cosy self catering cottage in Malpas, near Truro.


This was the view from our front door. It was just like the setting of Wind in the Willows, I could almost picture Ratty heading out on his boat!

We indulged in the mainland activities that island life does not allow for including a Chinese take away and lots of shopping. Our evenings included wine, olives and cards- slightly tamer than our pre- baby days!



The weather was lovely so we managed quite a lot of walking.



We walked past this playing field which is very significant to us. This is where the helicopter landed the night Marcus was born on board. It's hard to recall clearly the events of that evening- I remember it was raining and there were trees! However looking at this field brought home how scary everything must have been for Barney, so out of his control. It was almost therapeutic revisiting the place where our adventure unfolded.

At the weekend we had a visit from my sister Kate and her fiancee Mike. It was so great to see them. As usual there was lots of food and laughter and Marcus was spoilt rotten by his Aunty Kate.

 

We waved goodbye to Kate and Mike and then settled into our next place of residence for three nights, Watergate Bay Hotel.


Now staying at Watergate really was a special birthday treat. I was spoilt rotten with dinner at Jamie's 15 and a 'full works' massage, facial and pedicure treatment. The hotel is very baby friendly, they have a baby web cam monitoring system so we could even enjoy dinner on our own. Of course I also loved spending time with Marcus in the days. We swam lots and hung out reading and playing games as well as enjoying walks on the beach. He really does love having our undivided attention.


 

 




The Watergate is my favourite hotel I have stayed in and I have already started saving for my next visit, although this may take some time! The decor is a gorgeous beachy shabby chic (right up my street) and there is a real mix of people who stay there. It is the perfect setting for chilling or getting involved in some sea based activities. But mainly it was great because I was with my two boys.



No comments:

Post a Comment